According to multiple sources, Boko Haram attacked Dapchi, a remote town in Yobe state North East Nigeria, killing at least 3 persons and destroying houses.
However, a military source has confirmed that though the attack may be unsuccessful, but the terrorists are fleeing the town with some civilians, while their Nigeria air force are using airstrikes to flush them out into the bush.
Affirmative, #BokoHaram did launched an unsuccessful raid on Dapchi town in Yobe.
However, there was no abduction of Students. The terrorists may right now be fleeing with other civilians but not students.
There is ongoing Helicopter Airstrikes at the location https://t.co/mPfBDUkAfX
— Edward (@DonKlericuzio) February 19, 2018
Meanwhile, reports had it there the Boko Haram insurgents during the attack abducted number of secondary school girls from the Government Girls School, Dapchi, but other sources have taken to social media to report that there is not abduction and that all the students of the college have been accounted for and confirmed safe.
All students of the All Female High School in Dapchi which was few hours ago attacked by #BokoHaram are All Present And Accounted For.#Nigeria give all clear for the town as searches for civilians who fled in various directions are ongoing.
— Edward (@DonKlericuzio) February 20, 2018
There we rumours that President Muhammadu Buhari’s Government paid ransom for the relaese of a group of 10 women, including police officers and civil servants, who were kidnapped near Maiduguri in June.
Police initially denied the kidnapping until Boko Haram released a video weeks later showing the woman pleading for their freedom.
“Their release followed a series of negotiations as directed by President Buhari and was facilitated by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC),” said presidency spokesman Garba Shehu in a statement.
“All 13 rescued persons are in the custody of the service and are on their way to Abuja with the assistance of the Nigerian Army and the Air Force.”
Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, has been at the epicentre of the Islamist insurgency that has devastated the northeast of the country.
‘Looked in good health’
According to military and vigilante sources in Banki, a former town that is now a camp for internally displaced people on the Cameroon border, ICRC vehicles arrived around 12:45 pm on Saturday and drove into the bush.
They returned around 4:30 pm with the 10 women and three men, who were then flown in four helicopters — two ICRC, one military, one police — to Maiduguri.
“It’s true the 10 women have been released by Boko Haram through the ICRC officials who arrived this afternoon,” said a vigilante leader, “they (the women) didn’t talk to anyone, they looked tired but apparently in good health.”
It is not known at this stage whether a ransom was paid or if any Boko Haram prisoners were swapped in exchange for the hostages, as has happened in the past.
“The armed opposition handed the 13 people over to ICRC representatives who transported them to Nigerian authorities,” said the ICRC in a statement, adding that it did not participate in negotiations.
“This action was similar to what the ICRC did in October 2016 and May 2017, when we transported the released ‘Chibok girls’ to Nigerian officials.”
Last year, five Boko Haram commanders and an undisclosed amount of money were swapped for 82 of the more than 200 kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls.
Categories: Boko Haram