Nairobi attack: latests and all you need to know
Here is the latest on the terror attack on Nairobi hotel.
‘Two suspects arrested’
Two suspects have been arrested in connection with the 14 Riverside Drive attack in Nairobi on Tuesday, local Daily Nation reports quoting George Kinoti, Director of Criminal Investigations.
One of the suspects, a woman only identified as Kemunto, was arrested in Kiambu county in a house where one of the attackers is believed to have lived,according to Citizen TV.
A male suspect was arrested in Eastleigh area in the capital.
Islamist militant group al-Shabab have claimed responsibility for the attack which lasted 19 hours and claimed the lives of at least 14 people.
‘Fifty unaccounted for’
Kenya’s Red Cross says 50 people are still unaccounted for following the end of the hotel siege.
The official death toll currently stands at 14.
Police say five militants were killed during the security operation.
Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta said over 700 peoiple were rescued.
He said the country remains a safe place for foreign visitors, and that those involved in planning this attack will be hunted down.
Read the Kenya Red Cross statement below:
‘Five attackers involved’
Kenya’s police boss Joseph Boinnet has said five attackers took part in Tuesday’s attack at a Nairobi complex, news agency AFP reports.
Security camera footage showed at least four heavily armed men walking in the compound and opening fire.
Kenyan security officers praised
Kenyan security officers are being praised for their work in ending the attack at the Dusit complex.
Government officials, opposition leaders and ordinary Kenyans have hailed them as “heroes”.
Islamist militants from the al-Shabab group attacked the complex on Tuesday afternoon killing at least 14 people.
President Uhuru Kenyatta told a press briefing earlier today that all the militants had been killed and over 700 people rescued.
Security camera footage showed at least four heavily armed men walking in and opening fire.
Kenyans donating blood in Mombasa
Kenyans have been donating blood to help those injured in Tuesday’s attack at the luxury DusitD2 complex in the capital, Nairobi.
Concerned citizens as far away as the coastal city of Mombasa have gone to different centres to donate blood.
Twitter users, including a local MP, have been sharing pictures about the exercise.
Kenyan Muslim leaders condemn ‘barbaric attack’
Leaders from 10 Muslim organisations in Kenya have released a joint statement condemning Tuesday’s attack at the DusitD2 hotel in Riverside area in the capital, Nairobi.
Islamist militant group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack.
In the joint statement, the leaders condemn “in the strongest terms possible the barbaric attack on 14 Riverside Drive”.
The organisations have jointly set up a counselling and blood donation centre in Chiromo, a suburb in Nairobi.
Jamia Mosque, where the press conference was held, has recently been a target of online threats.
Some call for an attack on the mosque, which is frequented predominantly by Somalis.
Kenya siege map
The siege in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, on the complex, which houses the luxury DusitD2 hotel, began at about 15:00 local time (12:00 GMT) on Tuesday.
Gunmen threw bombs at vehicles in the car park before entering the lobby, where one blew himself up, police say.
The BBC has put together this map and timeline of the siege: