Metro

‘Children die after eating pesticide pancakes’

All 13 children are from the same family in Budumba, western Uganda.

Two children in Uganda have died and 11 others have been hospitalised after they ate pancakes made with pesticides instead of cooking oil, according to the Daily Monitor newspaper.

Two children have died and 11 others admitted to Busolwe General Hospital, Butaleja District after eating suspected ‘poisonous' pancakes commonly known as kabalagala.
Two children have died and 11 others admitted to Busolwe General Hospital, Butaleja District after eating suspected ‘poisonous’ pancakes commonly known as kabalagala.

All 13 children are from the same family in Budumba, western Uganda.

The newspaper reports that the children made the pancakes themselves – a dish commonly known in Uganda as Kabalagala.

But the Daily Monitor adds that they used the wrong ingredients – mistaking a pesticide, used to grow watermelons and vegetables, for cooking oil.

The children then started vomiting, the news site reports, and were taken to Busolwe hospital where two of them died and the 11 others are being treated:

Advertisements

Post a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: